Facilities and other attractions
A lot of people don’t realise the town is officially called Pukenui Village, yet everyone calls it Houhora.
Facilities and things to do in the area
- FUEL is available by self service at the Pukenui wharf but it pays to fill up at Kaitaia on your way up. There is also Fuel available a 40 minute drive further North at Waitiki Landing.
- FOUR SQUARE open 7 days 7:30am-6:00pm
- Houhora Liquor Centre
- Houhora Big Game Sports Fishing Club which has modern showers and toilets, plus a wharf and boat ramp.
- The Wild Belle Restaurant, bar and Takeaways. Good for groups or parties. Good for children.
- Houhora Heads for swimming and also the location of Wagener Holiday Park, listed as number 3 of NZ’s top classic camping grounds.
- Henderson Bay and Rarawa Bay, two beautiful surfing and fishing beaches a short drive north of Pukenui.
- 90 Mile Beach, great surf casting and an outstanding piece of public highway that is a must do by 4wheel drive or aboard one of the many tourist buses.
- Sand Boarding Te Paki Sand Dunes, 50 kilometres north of Pukenui, something everyone should try once.
- North Cape Light House, see two oceans collide and discover the place of leaping, where Maori spirits begin their final journey.